Saturday, April 10, 2010

The English Spring

I had never been to London in the springtime before this trip, and was totally surprised when, in a cab en route to a business appointment, we passed through St. James's Park outside Buckingham Palace to discover cherry and dogwood trees in bloom and daffodil fields ablaze. I went back the next day to take some pictures:



Elsewhere in the city, flowers also prevailed, including the Regent's Park area, where I was staying, and outside St. Paul's Cathedral:



Flowering-tree season is evanescent everywhere, so I thought I'd share these with you: even if you've been to London in the spring, you might have missed this.

It's also worth noting that while it was typically cold and damp in London -- on a weekend when it was 75 degrees in New York -- the cherry trees were in flower a week before those in Manhattan, and three weeks before the normal cherry-tree season in New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment